Monday, 28 February 2011

Wedding and work

Those two things are top of my mind at the moment and seem to be taking up most of my time. Compared with most weddings ours is pretty low key but even so there seems to be a fair bit to sort out.

The main thing is that we've got the venue sorted. It's at our local town hall in mid October. Sounds a bit unglamorous but it's a lovely old building so should be good.

Bar a bit of haggling we've mostly sorted the guest list too. Around 45-50 people and mostly friends - very little family. Still not sure about bf's mum - he hasn't told her yet. I hope she does come because I think he'll regret it if she doesn't but it's his call.

Next we need to find somewhere for drinks and food afterwards (we refuse to call it a reception). We looked at a couple of nice places on Saturday. One's a cocktail bar and the other a really nice room above a gastro pub. The pub won't allow loud music or a DJ though - do people expect to have a dance at a wedding?

We've also found the shop where we will buy rings too. It's more expensive than I thought! Something simple with a pale blue sapphire or aquamarine. Looks like it will cost £1,500 each though. Is that a lot?

We're meeting the registrar in a couple of weeks. I think the ceremony is pretty short but we can personalise it if we want. I'd like us both to do a short reading, maybe even keeping them secret from each other. I have this in mind, which is a Native American poem:

In beauty may I walk 
All day long may I walk 
Through the returning seasons may I walk 
Beautifully will I possess again 
Beautifully birds, 
Beautifully joyful birds 
On the trail marked with pollen may I walk 
With grasshoppers about my feet may I walk 
With dew about my feet may I walk 
With beauty may I walk 
With beauty before me may I walk 
With beauty behind me may I walk 
With beauty above me may I walk 
With beauty all around me may I walk 
In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, lively, may I walk 
In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty, living again, may I walk 
It is finished in beauty. 
It is finished in beauty.

What do you think? I came across it years ago and thought it would be lovely for something.

On the work front, it's all a bit grim. Everyone has to apply for their own jobs which is causing heightened tensions in the office. My application has to be in by next week and I get to know early April I think. I don't want to sound arrogant but I'm 99% sure I will be fine.

It's all rather fixed as they've already decided who they want to stay or go. And the selection process tests how good you are at bullshitting rather than how good you actually are. Fortunately I'm good on both counts :-)

Off to see my parents this weekend. Was supposed to be two weeks ago, so I could tell them about the wedding, but my dad got food poisoning. Then last week he did his back! Hopefully this week no further tragedy will befall him. (I ended up telling them on the phone in the end as I couldn't wait.)

I haven't been to see them since August though I've seen them in London a couple of times, so looking forward to it. I finally get my last Christmas present too! It's a fabulous photography book by Tim Walker called Pictures. It weighs over 4kg though so might be a bit laden down on way back :/


1 comment:

  1. We had our Civil Partnership on a Friday afternoon at the Registrar's Office, with just our two 'Best Men' (although one was married so we had a free 'Best Woman' too!)

    After signing the book, having a hoot with the Registrar and taking some pics we adjourned to the pub across the road and sat outside wondering if we now looked any different to anyone else!


    The day afterwards we invited my family (coz there was only his sister and her husband wasn't friendly) and loads of our friends, most of whom were mutual coz we'd already been together for some years.

    Since we'd not long moved into our new house, we held our 'do' there as a joint house-warming party. Several people from Pete's work joined us and we had a great time! Friends who run a catering school did most of the food so we didn't have to worry too much about that.

    We didn't want rings so went for silver bracelets which cost nothing like the figure you mentioned!

    I think you'll have a great time at the town hall (they're used to looking after people there!) and personally I'd go for the cocktail bar because they'll open it for you and maybe they'll be happy with the bar and food profit without charging room hire.

    I wouldn't, personally, use 'the room over' anywhere coz I think they can look awful when they're half full, you usually have to provide everything yourself - and it costs! Don't think the ambience is usually as good either - but you've seen them both so you'd know.

    It's marvellously exciting and it's never too early to start planning, as I'm sure everyone has told you! Looking forward to hearing more about it as time goes on!

    ReplyDelete