Saturday, 12 February 2011

Weighty matters

I've never had to worry about my weight. Even when I didn't do any exercise for years I stayed thin. I have a sweet tooth and could eat cakes, chocolate and biccies to my heart's content without worrying. Notice the past tense.

I have to 'fess up to the fact that I have a little belly. Not a massive one you understand. I weigh 12 stone something, which considering I'm over six foot is fine. But a little podge that I don't want all the same.

It's really annoying that I now have to think about what I eat and maybe - gulp - even do some exercises. Is it just getting a bit older (I'm 34)? Bf has started to tease me a bit, in a nice way but it's still a sensitive subject.

He's sickeningly healthy and has a really fit bod, which is good for me :-) But he's always looking at the calories in things and seldom eats sweet stuff. He goes to the gym several times a week too. I don't want to be that person.

I started running about 18 months ago and kind of enjoy that actually. I'd be happy just to stay doing that, but I guess it's not going to help my belly. I really don't want to go to the gym though - I can't think of anything worse.

Bf has offered to show me some ab exercises I can do at home so I guess I should take him up on that. Not much fun though :-( At least the wedding gives me something to aim for, though I feel like a straight bird trying to get into her dress :/

Will let you know how I get on. Anyone got any tips?

4 comments:

  1. It can be done! I've lost 10kg since November last year. I hate the gym so I cycle as much as I can and do situps/pressups daily and have cut my food intake by half. You really don't need to eat that much, once you feel a bit full, stop!

    I don't take carbonated drinks, cut down on sweet stuff, reduce my intake of pasta, rice, bread etc and it all helps. It takes some will power but it's worked. I don't really miss those things too much, occasionally I have the odd biscuit, cake of chocolate. Just eat healthy! I feel much better for it, the tummy is almost gone. You just have to have the will power to get started and once you do, it's part of your daily routine.

    My only weakness? A glass or two of red wine most nights but hey, I'm allowed a sin! Good luck, you can do it!

    Kai

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are not overweight - thats for sure.

    Just found your blog and I think we have some interests in common. Will add you to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pete and I have (had) just the same problem.

    In short we were eating far more than we were burning off in 'work' - i.e. exercise.

    We have found it needs fairly radical action on both fronts and one has to make oneself walk to the shops and carry stuff back, take the dog that extra couple of miles, resist the temptation to flake out in front of the tv or the computer for any longer than an hour at a time AND, most importantly, cut down the size of meals drastically - forego fried and high fat foods (incl. chocolate/biscuits/cake).

    We have not eaten a sweet after a meal (except when entertaining or at parties) for two years or more - but we often nibble on grapes, a banana or whatever. Less carbohydrate for sure - but really you need to recognise that without an active job you only need 2k Kcalories a day. If you want to get rid of your paunch then you must get under this every single day so that your body will start to eat up your fat store.

    I'm afraid I found I needed to feel hungry for a period before each meal coz that was when my body was actually using up its reserves.

    Good luck - I've lost 18 pounds over the last year - it just get's to be a way or life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the inspiration that it can be done and for some tips! I think Micky's comment about actually needing to feel hungry is a good one - my reaction to feeling hungry is to have a chocolate bar!

    So it's been a week and I've got into a routine of doing ab exercises before I go for a run and cutting doen on food a bit (first supermarket shop with no biscuits in it!). We'll see how it goes but I am determined to do something about it.

    @ Stephen - Hi there, nice to hear from you. I'm following you now too

    ReplyDelete