Monday, 28 March 2011

A typical weekend

It's been a really nice weekend, and in many ways a pretty typical one. Friday night we're usually pretty zonked after a busy week and tend not to do anything. I actually prefer to go out during the week now and leave Fridays clear.

This Friday was a bit more active than usual because I got laid :-) Then we spooned for about three hours, which was the best bit.

Saturday we've got into a bit of a routine since we started living together. A good routine though. We always walk into the local town centre and have brunch. There's lots to choose from so we spread our custom around a few different places. We always read the Saturday paper and do the crossword together too.

This Saturday evening we went out for drinks with a friend. We went to the bar where we're having our wedding reception and it felt like a really nice place to be. Then we also checked out a cocktail bar where we might go later in the evening.

It turned out quite well that we decided to go out closer to home rather than going into London, which was the original plan. We might have come across some of the mindless thugs attacking things after the protest against cuts.

Then we lost an hour overnight on Saturday. That sucked though it means I'll be able to run in the light now in the evenings. I managed a run and ab exercises on both Saturday and Sunday. Soon there'll be nothing left of me (I wish!).

As is often the case, Sunday was taken up with chores. Fixing things, cleaning things that the cleaner misses, starting to get the terrace ready for summer. There's a never-ending string of things to do. I do get annoyed that it's usually me that does them rather than bf. We joke about me doing 'daddy' tasks but it is actually quite frustrating.

There's also always house stuff I want to spend money on because I always want to improve things whereas bf seems happier to leave them as they are. It's a constant source of frustration. He has loads of savings compared with me (like four times as much) but it's always me that suggests things - I guess that's why he has savings lol.

I don't really see any point in stashing loads of money away though. Far better to spend it on something that makes you happy. It's one of the few concerns I have about the future, that our attitude to money is so different. If I see something nice for the house I want to buy it. And I always buy the best too, because I want quality. I feel like it's always me that's pushing to improve things.

The other thing I did on Sunday is that like a good citizen I filled in my census. There was a question about whether you were in a civil partnership. There wasn't a 'nearly' box so I had to answer 'no'.

I was surprised there wasn't a question about sexuality though. It seems a missed opportunity to conclusively answer the question that everyone always debates as to the percentage of gays in the population. I know it wouldn't be entirely accurate because people living with others might not feel comfortable answering (young people with their parents, for example). You can request a separate form for each person though. Surely it would be better than the current situation.

Anyway, that's my (mostly) domestic bliss and my weekend? How's yours?

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, TFI

    I'm sorry I've come to this post quite late, but I think there are some things I can still pick up.

    First, it sounds as if there are some things you and your bf ought to talk about, and probably before you get married. The fair division of household chores is one obvious area - I would guess that your bf doesn't feel a need for various tasks that you do, and so is happy to let you get on with them.

    More wide-reaching, I guess, is the question of money. You and your bf seem to have quite different views on savings and household expenditure. Marriage typically implies that some proportion of each member's assets become joint property. Will you be getting a shared bank account, for example? If you are saving, who will you be saving for - yourself, or the two of you together? I don't have any answers, but I think it may be time for you to start finding them.

    As for the census, though it would be very interesting to have the data, I think a question on sexuality is unlikely to appear for a long time.

    First, I'm sure it would be seen as unduly intrusive. I think a lot of people would be unwilling to answer it and have this piece of information linked to their name in a government database. Even if the question were made optional, the typical interpretation of not answering would be "not straight". As another example of someone who would not be comfortable answering, consider a closeted gay man in a straight marriage. If blog-land is any guide, that situation is more common than you might think.

    Second, I don't think it's that easy to frame the question properly. What categories do you include? Straight and gay, obviously. Bi - I would expect so. Asexual - I think it should be. What others? Where do you draw the line and put "Other"? My suspicion is that this one is best left to the academics.

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, TFI

    I think Blogger ate my comment again - I posted quite a long one early yesterday morning, but it seems to have vanished. You might like to check your spam comment folder (again - sigh...)

    Take care

    Mark

    ReplyDelete