Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Arty week off

I've got the week off work this week. Shame the weather isn't as good as it was in March. I've also been getting over a cold too which is annoying.

My parents were supposed to come stay with us over Easter. But in the end they stayed with my brother instead. Entirely understandable. He needs the support because his marriage is going tits up. His wife has basically moved out. So sad - we all thought they were made for each other.

I spoke to him last night and I don't think it's hopeless. They just need a bit of space I think. As he said, we just forgot what's important.

There's also the spectre of babies raising its head - she wants, he's less keen. So glad not to have to worry about that - it was enough of a decision getting the cat!

Today I decided to have a bit of a cultural day. It was a perfect day - much brighter and sunnier than expected. I started off with Jeremy Deller at the Hayward Gallery. Very thought provoking actually and it was clear that he put a lot of thought into his work. Not the kind of stuff I usually like as it's performances and video work. Visitors also get a free cup of tea in a replica market caff!

After a lunch I wandered along the river to the Tate Modern to see Yayoi Kusama. An incredibly varied body of work but all of a consistently high standard. She's a very interesting woman, having lived in a mental institution for the past three decades!

The best was saved for last - a dark room with all four walls made of mirrors and hanging from the ceiling at different heights small constantly changing lights. They changed in waves of colours and with the mirrors seemed to go off into infinity. I was transfixed and stayed a long time.

Off to the V&A tomorrow and then this weekend we're celebrating our six month anniversary. Any excuse for a celebration! We're going to go Greek as it's also Orthodox Easter this weekend (it's a week after the regular one).

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are not wasting your week off.When I was in the UK last August I went to the Tate as my ex neighbor was doing some art on their staircase.Going to go Greek ! sounds like fun.I had a friend from Greece but he went back as he could not bear to leave his brother behind.;-)

    ReplyDelete