We've been together for 10 years, but for a long while I never had any intention to do it - didn't really see the point - but a few people started asking so the idea planted itself in my mind and took root.
Obviously the 10th anniversary and being in such a romantic city as Vienna put a bit of pressure on. But I still wasn't convinced. I thought that if the time came I'd feel right and would know.
So we'd been having a lovely time in Vienna and it got to our last night. In fact it hadn't gone that well. Being vegetarians the choice isn't great so we'd had trouble finding somewhere. It was getting late and we'd tried a few places, nearly had a little argument, then we found somewhere that was OK - nothing special.
So I said we should go somewhere nice for a drink. The first place I wanted to go was busy but the second place - wow. It was on the top floor and we got amazing seats by the window overlooking the floodlit cathedral spire and the city beyond. It was beautiful.
Uh oh I thought. If I'm gonna do it then here is the spot. I remember a friend who said her husband had had the perfect opportunity at such a spot and regretted that he hadn't. So I started to get a bit nervous.
We ordered a couple of cocktails and had a nice chat. We were only gonna stay for one - we're such party animals! - but I wanted some Champagne to ask the question so I went to the toilet, thinking I could stop on the way back and ask them to bring some.
I still wasn't entirely sure I'd do it and in the toilet was trying to make up my mind. I resolved that I would so I made the arrangements on my way back. Then the fucking waiter nearly spoiled it! He came over to double check the order. Fortunately I managed to send him away quickly and the bf didn't hear.
Then I had to wait, my heart thumping, knowing it was beyond the point of no return. When it came the bf thought they'd bought it for free. I said no I asked for it because - I reached for his hand - I want to ask you if you'd marry me.
He was a bit shocked at first (in a good way!) but then said Of course. So that's how I proposed. Then we wandered back through the romantic - but freezing - streets of Vienna to the hotel. Got laid too ;-)
Sorry for going on. I wanted to get it down so I remembered it too.
Hi there, TFI
ReplyDelete:-D
Wow - congratulations! Hearing this has put a big smile on my face. Best wishes for a long and happy life together!
I'm glad you enjoyed Vienna as well, despite the lack of vegetarian restaurants.
Take care
Mark
Aw D! ...i actually got a little teary from that...am so happy for both you and your partner. Congratulations :-)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! This is the best news I've heard all this past week, and it couldn't have gone better for a nicer guy. It's good to hear about the good guys getting some wins! :D
ReplyDeleteWell done guys!
ReplyDeleteSo now there's, sort of officially, two of you. Are you guys 'out' to folk? Can you have fun going around telling people?
And when's the Big Date going to be, eh? Surely you're not going to go for ten years being engaged as well!
Thanks for the kind words guys. I really appreciate it :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's early days so we're not gonna rush into anything (well, it's taken us 10 years to get this far!). In fact we've said we won't start planning straightaway but let it sink in first. I imagine it will be next year before it actually happens.
We are out Micky, so it's been lovely to tell everyone. My parents are on holiday for two weeks so they're about the only ones who don't know!