Dead Man
This black and white (but modern) take on the western stars Johnny Depp. It's a surreal, almost painterly film with an awesome electric guitar soundtrack by Neil Young.
The Last Picture Show
Another black and white film, from the 70s but set in the 50s. Desolate is the word I would use to describe this film. It's all about a small Texas town and people living small town lives.
Far From Heaven
This is about as far from black and white as you can get. It's a Todd Haynes homage to the technicolor dramas of the 50s. It's beautifully filmed and has a lovely orchestral soundtrack. It also stars Julianne Moore who can do no wrong as far as I'm concerned.
A Single Man
I love this film. It's an amazing achievement considering Tom Ford had never directed before. I love everything about it, from the actors (Julianne Moore again!) to the soundtrack to the fact you get to see Nicholas Hoult's arse :-)
I struggled over the fifth choice. I nearly chose The Hours but couldn't go for another Julianne Moore film. There's also Dutch Harbor, an obscure arthouse film about the town of the same name (now famous for the Deadliest Catch show).
In the end I went for Requiem for a Dream because I couldn't not pick a Darren Aronofsky film. It's a stunning combination of music (from longtime collaborator Clint Mansell) and image that takes you on an almost unbearably intense journey about addiction.
So there you go. I'm sure I've missed at least one film off that I love but couldn't remember. Anyone else like these films or can recommend something I might like?
All 5 awards should go to:
ReplyDeleteA Single Man.
Nicholas Hoult's Arse
Julianne Moore
Tom Ford
Nicholas Hoult's Arse
Haha good idea :-)
ReplyDelete