Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Work changes

It's been a funny day. Had an email from my boss late last night to say she's not coming in. She's been under stress for a while and now she's finally cracked.

Work has really screwed her over by holding out the promise of early retirement. Turns out they've just been stringing her along.

I've said before that she has a similar personality to me. She gets really anxious about stuff. In fact I recommended my therapist to her and now she's seeing her too.

I emailed her at home today to say she should ask her doctor about medication too - and recommended the one I'm on, which I think is starting to work well.

She will be off for he rest of the week and says she will try to get signed off next week as well. I wonder if we'll see her before Christmas. I hope so.

I feel bad because I think in some way my getting the job hasn't helped. I'm not going to beat myself up about it - what else could I do? But I'm sure she feels just even more stress coming when I go.

In some ways I admire her for taking the time off. Even when I was incredibly stressed with my last job I still kept on working. It's crazy - what's more important, your health or some silly job? I just didn't want to admit it had beaten me.

What with my other colleague with the sick son likely to need time off too, it's going to be quiet in the office. It's a shame because, being selfish, I really wanted to use up some of my holiday in December. Otherwise I'll carry over 10 days which means I'll have 40 days next year!

Tomorrow will be very quiet as it's a strike day for the public sector. I'm going in because I don't really support the strike or unions but lots of people will be striking. With holidays like that and a pension that's still loads better than the private sector, I can't see we've got that much to complain about!

1 comment:

  1. There are similar problems here in the US.
    Government workers,teachers,police and firefighters etc. have had it too easy for so long.
    They resent the fact that times are hard and they will have to give in a little.If the money isn't coming in it is difficult to budget without either cutting staff or cutting pay and benefits.
    Nobody likes to get less but sometimes as you realize you have to look around and think that you don't have it too bad,there are always other people worse off.
    Sorry to hear you may not be able to take time off but at least you can carry it over.
    The last job I had,it was use it or loose it and it was hard to take the time off.
    One year I took every Friday off in November and December and still lost some days.Oh well!

    ReplyDelete